FAQ's for Tenants

FAQ’s for Tenants

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions from tenants and our answers to them.

What are your fees?

What referencing do you require?

We use an online referencing agency, Van Mildert for your convenience. The referencing procedure is efficient and simple to use. [www.vanmildert.net]

Do all the proposed tenants need to be referenced?

Anybody over 18 years of age or older has to be referenced.

Will JW Wood manage the property during my tenancy?

In the majority of cases, we do act as managing agents of the properties, however, if this is a concern to you, you should ask us prior to making a tenancy application, as to whether we are managing the property or only finding tenants on behalf of the landlord.

How much is the deposit?

The deposit is always more than a month’s rent and we advertise the exact amount for each individual property.

Who holds the deposit and when do we get it back?

At the commencement of and throughout the tenancy we hold the deposit in our Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) regulated clients account, and it will be protected by the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS).

Do JW Wood carry out an inventory inspection when I move in and out of the property?

Yes, prior to you moving into the property we prepare an inventory and photographic schedule of condition. This documentation is agreed when you move into the property and referred to at the checkout inspection when you move out to finalize matters regarding the return of your deposit.

What payment methods do you accept?

We prefer Bank Transfer (BACS) payments however, subject to prior agreement we are able to accept cash payments. We are not however able to accept personal cheques or credit cards.

Will the landlord accept pets?

Generally landlords do not accept pets however some may and we will therefore need to ask individual landlords if you should wish to keep a pet in the property.

How much is the council tax?

This will vary depending on the local authority and the value of the property. Please refer to the council’s websites for banding advice. [http://cti.voa.gov.uk/cti/InitS.asp?lcn=0]

Can we get parking permits?

Before proceeding with your tenancy, we recommend that you contact the local council to establish if they operate a controlled car parking policy within the immediate and surrounding area and if you will be eligible for car parking permits.

Looking for a property to rent in County Durham?